Student Success Advising Agreement
Your first step towards graduation begins today with the advising/registration process. At WVU Tech this process is centered on one goal: helping you to acquire an academic mindset that will lead to your current and future success both inside and outside of the classroom. For this process to work you must become more than a passive participant. You must become an active partner with your student success advisor.
While you are ultimately responsible for the choices you make, your student success advisor will be here to help you along the way. Each of us has a role to play in your education, and we must agree to work together openly and responsibly.
As a WVU Tech student, you will:
- Follow placement policies and guidelines.
- Devote time to developing an academic plan.
- Be familiar with program descriptions and requirements.
- Understand course sequences and prerequisites.
- Be prepared for advising sessions with questions, ideas, and any required documents.
- Reply to any emails or phone calls from an advisor.
- Follow through on course work requirements.
- Inform an advisor if contact information changes.
- Notify an advisor immediately if experiencing any difficulty in classes.
- Make no changes to my registration without consulting an advisor.
As your academic advisor, we will:
- Be available to students.
- Be knowledgeable about academic policies and procedures.
- Answer students’ questions or connect them with someone who can.
- Support students’ best interests.
- Know WVU Tech’s student resources.
- Uphold confidentiality laws.
- Communicate with students throughout the semester.
- Assist with course selection and registration.
- Provide necessary planning tools and documents.
Together, we will:
- Participate actively in the advising process.
- Be open to different possibilities and paths.
- Acknowledge different perspectives.
- Ask questions and make thoughtful decisions.
- Be honest and respectful with each other.
- Ask questions for clarification.
- Uphold our agreements.
Your registration for classes will serve as verification of your ongoing commitment to the advising relationship throughout the coming term.