To make the most of your time with a tutor, you should:
- Keep a positive attitude about the subject and about your potential to excel. Your attitude will most often determine how well you do in the course.
- Study your textbook and lecture notes thoroughly and attempt the assigned problems before you go for tutoring help.
- Speak to your professor about any issues that you may be having in the course. Professors can help target specific areas/concepts.
- Try to identify specific questions or concepts you need to address during the tutorial session.
- Expect the tutor to ask you questions about the material. They do this to find out what you understand and to provide you with information and strategies tailored to your individual needs.
- Expect the tutor to suggest general study strategies to help you improve your overall academic performance. These strategies will help in all of your courses.
- Never wait until the day before the test or the day before an assignment is due to seek assistance. Study a few hours each day and keep up with your assignments. It is far easier to keep up than to catch up!